 |
| The official quilt. |
|
Earlier this month I finished my dresden quilt for the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild's dresden challenge. I started working on the dresdens for this quilt back in May I think. I made one or 2 dresdens at a time in between working on other projects. And slowly but surely this quilt was made.
 |
| Isaac likes it. |
I'm not much for making a quilt without a purpose. I enjoy quilting but
we already have plenty of blankets for TV watching etc. But we needed a
new quilt for our guest bed so I decided this challenge was perfect for
guest bed. It is a full size quilt and is by far the largest quilt I've
made. It was difficult to work with so much fabric but I got it done :)
I used a sheet as the base for my applique on the top and as the back.
Simple is good for me.
I chose to do raw-edge, flat dresdens in various sizes in a random
layout. It evolved a lot from the much more structured plan I had in my
head when I started this project. I love how it turned out. I did all
of the quilting myself. I'm pretty proud of that. It's not perfect by
any means but I think it's the best quilting I've done so far so I'm
pleased. I bought a quilting frame in large part to quilt this quilt. It will
come in handy for quilting other quilts in the future too. I used a
design from the free motion quilting project blog. Can't remember the
name at the moment though.
| |
| Close up of the quilting. |
|
 |
| He deems it cuddle worthy. |
 |
| It doubles as a great fort! |
So now this quilt is on our guest bed bunched on the couch where it was thrown after the photo shoot. It has already been used once by my father in law and it will be ready for my mom when she arrives in a week and a half. It will get lots of use and it makes me happy every time I walk past the guest bedroom. All in all a quality project.
12 comments:
That last picture of Isaac is ADORABLE! Cutest smile ever. The quilt looks great too!
Such awesome pictures :) Isaac is quite photogenic.
Last night, I sewed my bloomers from trek back together (they keep splitting on the seams, so I went through and resewed all of them), and I did a rather terrible job on the first pair. haha. So I am very impressed by your lovely quilt.
Awesome quilt Sarah. I love the colors and the random placing of your dresdens.
Great finish! I really like the random dresdens!
I love your layout! I love the effect of different size dresdens.
I'm loving it!! Good Luck!
I like your quilt! I especially liked the little guy and the pictures. I've got a couple little guys and it made me smile. Good luck!!
Hello there - lovely quilt! and your handsome little devil!! I have a mini helper in my sewing room too - if only she put away the fabrics after pulling them all out it would be fab!! :) Goodluck in the competition! :)
Hello there - lovely quilt! and your handsome little devil!! I have a mini helper in my sewing room too - if only she put away the fabrics after pulling them all out it would be fab!! :) Goodluck in the competition! :)
Love the quilt. The different sizes of Dresden's make it so interesting to look at.
http://richardquilts.blogspot.com
http://trackmyshows.blogspot.com
what a beautiful quilt....love the way it looks with the different sized plates.....and I can see that it passed with flying colors with your "inspector" too!
A very beautiful quilt!! Quilts do make the best forts. :)
Post a Comment